Sunday 8 November 2015

On Nanowrimo

So I'm doing Nanowrimo, I'm nearly 12,000 words in, and I haven't enjoyed the writing experience so much in years. There's a freedom to writing for quantity over quality that really suits the story I'm telling.

Here are some tips for Nanowrimo that I've discovered along the way:


I started with a practical blank slate. I knew the setting for the story and the rules of the world I wanted it set in, but I had no characters, and no story. I had chapter 1 in my head, and then I started writing. 8,000 words later, chapter 1 had become 7 chapters, and I still hadn't completed what I thought would be chapter 1.

The key here was to trust my characters and let them do what they wanted. I had created their world, but no plot. Two things to note here: nanowrimo definitely suits genre, because you can just free-write without thinking too much of the 'literary' aspect, which has always dragged me down before. You therefore need to know your chosen genre well. The other thing is to let the characters lead the way. For instance, my character thought something funny which caused her to laugh. That laugh had consequences in her world, which I hadn't plotted for, and it created conflict. Once I had made her laugh though, I couldn't take it back.

Another tip would be to write in a genre that you enjoy, and a story that you enjoy should come out of it. If you're not enjoying your own story, how will you be able to finish it? If you had to be dragged to the finish line, what's to say your reader would try so hard?

For expediency, use locations you know, or use them as a base for your fantasy world. Base characters on people you know. Remember, speed is of the essence, and details can be changed in your edits.

No comments:

Post a Comment